The Sports Elite programme aims to provide support to talented sporting individuals and elite teams.
The programme is unique to Northcote College and fits into the special culture of the school. It takes an individual approach to assessing the specific needs of individuals and of elite teams to help them achieve excellence. We then provide the best possible support programme to assist them in achieving their goals.
- To maximise the opportunity for talented sports individuals to excel.
- To maximise the potential of top teams in major sports.
- To see our sportspeople excel beyond Northcote College in their chosen sport.
Northcote College Representative in their main sport
North Harbour A Representative or equivalent status*
New Zealand Representative***
* In codes where there is significant competition for places
** For athletes not yet qualifying for the top 2 criteria but clearly outstanding already in their sports
*** New Zealand representatives can apply for exemption from the qualification of school representation
Sports Elite Students and their Representative Status
Tara Beale Judo & Soccer
- Won the Senior Girls title in a new weight and age category at the New Zealand Judo Nationals
- Trains with the Auckland Representative Judo squad which include many NZ reps.
- Awarded a green belt and won gold in the Senior Girls U50kg weight class in her most recent competition.
- Northern Football Federation goal keeper
Jaiya Bharti Cricket & Football
- Auckland U15 Cricket squad
- North Harbour U15 team
Ferne Skill Touch Rugby
North Harbour U13 Elite Touch Rugby team
Oscar Radonich Downhill Mountain Biking
- 2nd Auckland Secondary School downhill champs U15
- 6th North Island Secondary School champs U15
- 8th New Zealand Downhill Championship in U15
Meila Story Soccer
- 1st XI Northcote College
- Northern Football Federation grade 13,
- Premier U14 Club team
Mitchell Hutchinson - Target Archery
- New Zealand Outdoor Nationals 1st in Target, 3rd in the Open field
- New Zealand Indoor Nationals in Wellington-second place in his age group
Mitchell competed twice this year in the USA, most recently in the US National Archery Champs where he had an outstanding competition. He placed in the top 30 in the ranking round. He then placed in the top 16 in the match play out ofover 100 archers. In the separate teams competition Mitchell’s team finished first.
George Brown - Waterpolo
- North Harbour U16 Development squad
Caiden Davidson - Rugby
- North Harbour U14 Rugby rep (2015)
Caiden will trial for the U16 team again in 2017.
Oliver Hayward - Basketball
- North Harbour U15A team which finished 2nd in the National Championship
- New Zealand U16 triallist
- Selected in the Koru tour to Australia in January 2016
- Selected in the Impact U17 Development team to tour Las Vegas
Oliver’s goal is to attend an American University through this programme.
Drew Ellison Touch Rugby/Rugby
- North Harbour U15 Mixed Touch Rugby team (2015)
- North Harbour U15 Touch Rugby (2016)
Mercedes Carrascosa - Artistic Roller Skating
- New Zealand Artistic Nationals-1st out of 7 in the Junior grade Solo Dance
- Australian National Championships 2nd out of 10 in solo dance.
- Graeme Shephard Competition-Champion in the Junior Solo Dance category
- New Zealand Junior Oceania Championship team
- NZ Freeskating Champs 4th out of 9 in the cadet grade.
David Chung - Golf
- North Harbour Golf Club 3 handicap
- North Harbour Classic 2nd on net score
- Auckland Golf Championship 6th place finish on handicap
Nick Hazeldine - Cricket
Previously a North Harbour Cricket rep
Currently working through severe knee injury
Luke Lyndon - Cricket
- North Harbour U15A Cricket squad (2015)
Gabrielle Lee-Tetter - Swimming
- North Shore 15 year old Freestyle A Relay team and Medley A relay team
Current best time 50m free 29.74
Jordan Bolland - Athletics
- North Harbour 100m Champion
- North Harbour 200m Champion
- Auckland Secondary School 100m Champion
- New Zealand U20 National 100 & 200m Champion
Jordan ran in the New Zealand 100m relay team in the World Junior Championship in Poland and recorded a time of 10.53 (wind assisted 2.1) in the 100m in Germany.
Michael Brown - Waterpolo and Volleyball
Previously North Harbour U19 squad and now coach of the Junior Water polo team, Michael is focusing on academic studies this year for entry to University in 2017.
Patrick Elisaia-Hopa - Basketball & Volleyball
Previously an U17 Hibiscus Coast Basketball rep, Patrick is focusing on academic studies this year for entry to university where he hopes to study Engineering in 2017.
Brooke Ellison - Rugby & Touch Rugby
- North Harbour U19 Rugby (2015)
- New Zealand Trans–Tasman U18 Tag team
- North Harbour U18 Tag team
- Selected to trial for the Oceania Tag team in September
Alan Gilbert - Triathalon
Alan is focusing on his academic studies this year as he aims for a Biomed university degree in Poland in 2017.
Elanor Grimwood - Golf
- North Harbour U21 Golf team Captain (plays number 1) which finished 2nd in the Interprovincial Tournament
- North Harbour Ladies team (plays number 1) and performed extremely well in their latest provincial match against the Bay of Plenty.
- Auckland Secondary School Golf competition 3rd on gross score
- New Zealand Amateur Golf Championship quarter finalist in the Stroke PlayChampionship
Ela has been awarded a full scholarship to Mississippi State University in 2017.
Tristan Hutchinson - Baseball
- Selected for the New Zealand U18 Baseball Training squad (injured)
Tristan is focusing on academic studies in preparation for university in 2017.
Sarah Morton - Football/ Athletics/Swimming
- Sarah’s goal is to gain selection in the New Zealand U20 Womens Football team in September
- Senior Athletics Champion
- 3rd overall in Senior Swimming Sports
Connor Westbury in Year 10 was victorious at the recent Kartsport Auckland Club Championship.
Elijah Neblett in Year 12 has been selected to play in the Oceania Football World Cup to be held in United Arab Emerates in October this year.