Appropriate Behaviours Course (ABC)
This course which is a part of the Y9 Orientation programme which occurs in February every year aims to:
- Introduce and giving the students:
- Problem-solving skills
- Restorative conversation skills
- Effective communication skills
The course is designed to ensure that all students feel that they are valued and connected members of NC and the importance of adding to Northcote College’s philosophy, culture and wellbeing
“Ut prosim aliis.”
Buddies for New Students to Northcote College
Some students join the school after Year 9. To improve their orientation and ease the settling in process Northcote College Support Services have developed a Buddy system by training students and giving them the skills necessary to support the orientation programme. We believe that this is vital if we are to help new students to settle well.
Mentoring Programme for Year 9 students
Year 9 students are mentored by Year 13s who have been trained and selected specifically for this programme. They meet for 45minutes once in a 6 day cycle.
Aims of the programme are to:
- Help young people realise their potential.
- Help young people to become self-sufficient, productive citizens.
- Improve communication skills of young people.
- Improve the social and communication skills of young people:
- In relationships with family and whanau
- By a focus on behaviour, attitudes and presentation.
“Creating Respectful Relationships”
This course has been offered to Year 9 and Year 10 girls at Northcote College by Home & Family Counselling.
The course will cover topics such as assertiveness, managing difficult situations and giving each other supportive feedback.